View Single Post
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 16:51   #19
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Logical Fallacies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
No, one of them continues itself in a search for further knowledge, the other does not.
Yes, in purely academical world it does. In reality, it does not in the slightest affect how I perceive future arguments because I really haven't made up an opinion in either case, it does not matter for my current opinions because I refused to accept the argument in both cases. Wether I'm actively myself am going to search for documentation/facts are purely governed by my own laziness / interest on the subject.. and I don't think I'm very unique in this.
Quote:
He is not most likely sprouting bollocks. He is either sprouting bollocks or he is not. Whether he is or is not depends on the facts of the matter, which you should investigate before acting upon.
Ah, so something in your mind is either flagged as absolutely 100% certainly true, or 'not verified yet'. Must be a bitch watching the news? 'Well, I don't know wether this footage is faked and wether they paid these eye-witnesses, so I must choose not to believe until it's verified'.

I mean, you know as well as I do, that there is no such thing as certain. There's 'likely', 'really likely', and 'really, really, really likely'. If you want to use the latter exclusivly and change the others with 'not determined yet', feel free, but to me that makes you sound like someone who badly needs a therapist.
Quote:
You really seem to be saying I can muddle through without being rational sometimes. While this is doubtlessly true, it's not exactly helpful as if everyone had this attitude we'd probably still be sitting in trees hurling faeces at each other.
No, I'm saying you can muddle through without being insane. Probabilities do have a place in logic, and they certainly belong in discussions. Mind you, I'm not trying to argue that being precise about what you're really saying, and that being aware of the difference between refuting and dismissing really isn't needed. I'm just saying both still have their place.

.. besides, fuzzy math really is quite fun.