View Single Post
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 16:19   #16
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Logical Fallacies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You really seem to be saying I can muddle through without being rational sometimes. While this is doubtlessly true, it's not exactly helpful as if everyone had this attitude we'd probably still be sitting in trees hurling faeces at each other.
Are you implying that history reveals an overwhelming human tendency towards 'rational' behaviour?

EDIT:

I think my beef is really with our definition of 'rationality'. How do we (you) define it? Are moral decisions rational? Is love rational? To me, your logic as applied to ordinary situations seems to imply some kind of disconnected-ness that doesn't exist in actuality.
And aren't you pretty close to the naturalistic fallacy yourself in assuming all rational behaviour to be 'good' or correct?

RE-EDIT:

'A logical argument is sometimes described as rational if it is logically valid. However, rationality is a much broader term than logic, as it includes "uncertain but sensible" arguments based on probability, expectation, personal experience and the like, whereas logic deals principally with provable facts and demonstrably valid relations between them. For example, ad hominem arguments are logically unsound, but in many cases they may be rational.'

Do you agree?

Last edited by Boogster; 10 Jul 2006 at 16:39.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote