View Single Post
Unread 3 Jul 2007, 19:03   #45
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Obiora case. A dark spot on Norway's "clean sheet"

Wouldn't exactly compare SEFO or whatever it's called in English to Internal Affairs in US. Atleast in US Internal Affairs aint to popular among policemen. And i honestly would find it strange if the were 16 deaths caused by the police there, without even one of'em causing a prosecution. Here in Norway, it looks like SEFO is policemens and therefore taking care of their own.

Ofcause policemens should take care of their own. But i don't think that makes them the best ones when it comes to investegating crimes in their own ranks. After all there's usually 2 sides of a story, and wouldn't it be better to make someone neutral investagate what's happened?

Anyway, i've tried to translate as good as i could 2 parts from different webpages here, in an attempt to make you ppl see it more from us Norwegians side. The Amnesty page i've translated from has been posted here before, but not the one from Namdalsavisa (random page from many which includes much the same). It's not a perfect translation though, since my English is a bit limited. I've tried to be as neutral in my translation as possible, but obviously i see it from the same side as Kargool and Zhukov.

3rd column after the second picture:
126 politifolk voldsanmeldt
- ingen tiltalt
SEFO fikk i fjor inn 656 anmeldelser. I 45 av sakene foreslo SEFO reaksjoner mot de anklagede polititjenestemennene. Blant reaksjonene var det imidlertid kun tre tiltaler, resten var 13 påtaleunnlatelser og 29 forelegg. Av 126 anmeldelser om vold eller ulovlig maktanvendelse foreslo SEFO ingen tiltaler, kun én påtaleunnlatelse og fire forelegg.
My translation:
126 policemen reported for violence
- None accused
In the last year SEFO got 656 reports. In 45 of those case SEFO suggested reactions against the accused policemen. Among the reactions, only 3 of'em were accused, in the rest were 13 assumed illegal without reason for prosecution ( påtaleunnlatelse: done something illegal, but without prosecution ) and 29 fines. Among the 126 reports for violence or illegal use of power, SEFO suggested no indicements, and only 1 were assumed illegal without reason for prosecution (påtaleunnlatelse), and 4 were punished with a fine.

From the first 5 lines of http://www.namdalsavisa.no/Innenriks...cle2856437.ece
Oslo:
Siden januar 2005 har 16 personer mistet livet i politisaker i Norge. Ti av dødsfallene er etterforsket og henlagt uten reaksjoner mot de involverte polititjenestemennene.
De seks siste sakene etterforskes fortsatt av Spesialenhtene for politisaker.
My translation:
Since January 2005, 16 people have lost their life while it got handled by the police. 10 of those cases has been investigated and been set aside without reaction against the involved policemen.
The last 6 are still under investigation by SPF.(earlier know as SEFO).

Last edited by Pilatus; 3 Jul 2007 at 19:17.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote