View Single Post
Unread 5 Oct 2007, 17:14   #67
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Its things like this that make me wish i was still a student :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
Out of interest what are the outcomes and objectives?
Well you just made up a coursework that would never be realistic in Business Studies as it doesn't test any kind of subject knowledge, so I have no idea. I just was saying that what you were suggesting could be easily done in Excel (income from selling cars vs costs from paying staff, buying stock yadda yadda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
The high school I was at last year used an online learning environment called 'Dida'(sp?), which required the kids to use Access to create their application. Whilst also teaching them what Databases are, modeling the relationships and consideration to the type and length of fields amongst other things.
Yeah, we teach Dida at my school. We're getting rid of it this year as it's shit (the course itself is fine, it's the markscheme and analysis of results that sucks - it's v.hard to mark as it isn't quantifiable - questions like "does the webpage stand out?" and "does the logo look good?").

Access is a TINY part of Dida. 2-3 marks out of 42, maximum. All they have to do is stick a load of premade data into Access, split it into the different fields, then do a couple of queries on it. The kids hate it, the teachers hate it, most people hate it.

It's only people who USE databases who care. It's hardly surprising that a community based around a database led space game has lots of geeks who love databases and think they're really useful in the real world, is it?