View Single Post
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:43   #37
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Even the Vatican say Intelligent Design is a load of crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Children tend to accept things much more readily when they're learning than adults do. It appears to be some kind of evolutionary trait to help get all the vital information across with less argument - don't eat these berries, fire is hot, jumping off cliffs is a bad idea. Children also don't have particularly well developed logical faculties, and almost certainly in the majority lack the time and the impetus to understand something as complicated and subtle as the theory of evolution in such a way to make it preferrable to ID.

Of course, even if that wasn't the case then I still would oppose ID being taught in schools. The scientific community does enough arguing over evolution on its own, it doesn't need help from something that is essentially just made up which decries it. Should we spend equal time in History lessons pursuing the idea that, say, the Holocaust didn't happen? That King Henry VIII didn't exist? That the Romans were actually space aliens?
Yet again, I didn't put an age to my argument. I don't know about you but I didn't start learning about evolution until I was about 15, by which point I was able, to a reasonable degree, to see an argument from different points of view. Also your point about the evolutionary trait... Is it really an evolutionary trait, or is it a trait of the environment and the way we are taught? Genuine question, I'm not being smarmy or anything.

Should we spend equal time blah blah blah.... I don't know. But what I do know is that when I was taught evolution for the second time (at maybe 16 or 17), a similar approach to what I said was taken, where arguments against evolution were put forward, and I appreciated someone taking the time to explain it in this fashion, as it made me think deeper about various aspects of evolution, rather than 'just writing my notes down and passing my exam', which is what I would have done otherwise. I think its important to look at a situation from different angles, even ones you don't neccesarily agree with, because it can give you the ability to ask questions about a subject or look at it in a different light, than if you hadn't. Not only that, but it leaves you better equipped to actually debate against someones point of view, if you've actually put yourself in the shoes of that point of view before. I think the quote 'keeping your enemies closer' probably touches on this a bit.

For the person who gave me 'insanity' bad rep, FYI I considered studying Genetics at university, and ended up researching evolutionary computing and genetic algorithms for my honours project at university. I put this partly down to the very interesting way I was taught my evolution module at A-level in biology. I'm not some crazy redneck god loving bible freak, I just appreciate someone who takes the time to attempt to broaden someones mind (which is what educations all about in the end), and make you think a little more out the box than the ability to pass the next exam. Are you calling me insane because you think I believe ID? Or are you calling me insane because ID's currently a hot topic of debate, and I'm not following the ID bashing trend?
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote