Thread: Animal Rights
View Single Post
Unread 5 Aug 2006, 01:46   #52
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Animal Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
As far as the question of whether or not we should allow it goes, I think the consensus among people in society is that too many people would feel uncomfortable with it for us to allow it. I derive that in the same way we arrive at 'thou shalt not commit murder'. I don't believe it is objectively wrong, because I don't believe in objective morals, but it's 'wrong' in society because one hell of a lot of people don't like it.
My main problem with this line of argument is it seems to be awfully directionless in terms of morality (I appreciate this is kind of the point).

If public feeling floats towards allowing murder, or experimentation on babies or chattel slavery or whatever else, how do you personally react? Shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well"? What if they were the other way and it was towards completely banning animal testing of any kind (which is obviously far more likely)? Where would you resist social convention?

I suppose my point is that morality in this sense is more interesting when viewed as a motivator for your own personal actions. This is why (while I agree with your viewpoint) I cannot accept the "it's none of your business" argument. If I heard that adult humans were being tortured against their will somewhere (even for a cure for cancer), and it was something I could realistically stop then of course I would do my utmost to do so (or at least, I hope I would). But the same argument could be applied - why is the suffering of an adult human my business anymore than a bunny rabbit? If ASG (and his ilk) are correct and these creatures are "suffering" (or whatever criteria you choose to use) then their actions are completely understandable and it's everyone business.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote