Thread: The Spectator
View Single Post
Unread 22 May 2008, 04:28   #45
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Wait a second here:

Why should another parent have an influence on how my kid would be educated and likewise, why should I have influence on how someone else's is? And why should any of us tolerate any kind of filthy compromise that is reached?

Give them the widest possible curriculum and let the kids decide/ think (yes, think!) for themselves I say.
What? Where did i say that? Did you even read the article?

The only parents who will be influencing what is being taught in schools are those people or organise and formalise any curricula, typically people in Education departments of governments. Thus, at best, what you're saying already happens. At worst, a new system like this lets you be able to move school more easily and the government will keep funding your place.

Kids often dont know what they want. This is for a number of reasons, such as over-caring parents choosing for them. For their lack of knowledge of the real world. For their lack of knowledge with their own abilties, or available options. How many Year 1s talk about becoming an economist? Or a mathematician? Or a psychologist? Or a quantity surveyor? They all want to be policemen, firemen, doctors, nurses or perhaps vets. Sure, as they grow older, they get exposed to more options. But if you're 13 in high school and you're required to select your own curriculum, then you will be choosing subjects that may not be suitable for your path, which you will discover when you're older. Imperfect information is a major problem, and its very costly to correct, let alone incurring some major changes to society as a whole first. Given that people keep trying to do this, and it not working, then i'd suggest that its a pipedream. Get into the real world, and you might be less disapointed with whats going on.

Now, that might sound comical coming from an economist, but i've just put it out there.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote