View Single Post
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 19:51   #26
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: So if you had to choose...

assuming you mean a flat tax % of income (as opposed to flat % of wealth or a true flat 'everyone pays X' system), i think the opposite on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
and b) it discourages Sun reading morons for screaming for increased taxation/public services, since they will be the ones who have to pay for them rather than leeching the money off a wealthy minority..
let's say i make ~10K per year. very likely my expenses are very close to exactly that. under a graduated system, i don't get taxed much at all, and make ends meet. moving to a flat tax system, my income gets cut down a notch, and suddenly i need some soft, milky government teat to suck on to make ends meet.

and while it's true that the more i suck, the more i have to spend in taxes, it's still okay because being as i am below the average income mark, i'm still getting more than my share back with every % the rate moves up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Flat tax is better because a) it doesnt punish people for being successful and generally not dumb, ..
any system where there is any correlation between income and tax is going to do just that though. if you don't like that, then why not champion a system that doesn't punish the successful?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote