View Single Post
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 14:31   #28
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: The old new car old car routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
if its taxation then surely the car is worth the same as it is here (prolly a little more but not much) but the actual sale price is crippled because of the tax which is added on later.

So if you setup a car dealership and 'said' you were paying the taxes when infact you wernt youd make a fortune.

Cant you fly to america. Buy a car there and then drive it down? I mean it might cost around a thousand bucks to do it all with fuel etc and plane journey but youd save around 4-5 thousand?
the main problem is the import taxes.
They charge 60% of the total value of the car and freight on any car you bring from overseas. So droping the cars on uruguay and driving them to brasil would alone represent a 60% drop on final consumer prices, which gives considerable advantage, meaning you can take as profict 55% of the value of the car and a 5% discount to motivate the sales.
The taxes which apply later on, sales taxes and etc still apply, because dodging them is pretty hard in brasil, considering most of the police force is geared towards avoiding tax evasion, and things like fine collecting and avoiding frauds against the government, instead of defending the population from criminals. Its just a matter of principles. You get lots of money when people pay the absurd taxes and making sure that they dont fraud anything. Not so much money is made from keeping the general population safe...
Having said that, the Urugay rush is much more feasible, because of the open borders policy generated by Mercosul ( our economic block).
The problem with the US thingy is that I would have no documentation of the car, which would be promptly asked in most of the around 15 countries I would have to cross, so Im not sure It would work...
I presume that you are only able to register the car if you live in the Us....