View Single Post
Unread 17 Feb 2007, 16:29   #19
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: a (simple, but fun) riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Words fail me.
Hes dutch

I get the principle ie take 11 random coins into one pile and 40 random coins in another. If by chance you picked completely correctly theres 11 heads in one pile and no heads in the other, by flipping the pile with 11 heads both piles have no heads. But lets say you get 1 head in the '40 pile' and 1 tail in the '11 pile' by flipping the 11 pile you've now got one head and the others are tails.

I 'get' the solution but what would a generalised formula for the riddle be*?? the flipping over bit is confusing me, if you have N coins

N=n(T)+n(H)

Pile 1 = N-n(H)
Pile 2 = N-n(T)

Flipping over pile 2 would be 'what' in maths terms?

Nod?

*its more interesting

edit:

I think we're going to need matrices

N [Matrix] = [Scalar matrix ie numbers].[Unit matrix for 'state'] + [Scalar matrix].[Unit matrix]^-1

edit edit: it can't be a unit matrix as the reciprocal would be identical, lets call it a state matrix instead

Last edited by milo; 17 Feb 2007 at 17:19.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote