View Single Post
Unread 23 Nov 2006, 16:07   #86
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Jesus rejected for Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm
hey all,

Here's my take on religion. Its like you are in a huge life circle . At the beginning your parents brought you up to believe in religion, in the middle you couldn't give a shit, then in the end when you have your own children you start the cycle over again. I feel religion is a good way to help you teach morality to your children.

Whatever you were brought up as, either extreme, your religion gives you a sense of belonging to something, its give you hope and happiness(well not at 10am on sunday morning when every normal person is asleep). It gives you a set of rules to live your life by if you so choose.

I currently going throught the I couldn't give a shit phase but in the new year I guess the old pair/old pair inlaws will want me get the baby baptised and we shall begin the cycle over again.

tsm
You acting as if organised religion is the only way such things can be achieved and that’s wrong.

For starters the whole teaching kids morality argument’s pretty flawed when most organised religions have a pretty ****ed up sense of morality as it is. Christian morality for example still seems to largely hold women in a lower regard to men, is willing to put women through the agony of carrying a baby to term that was conceived during rape and make homosexuals feel like dirty sinners who will burn in hell. Is that really a morality we want people teaching their kids, and hey is it a morality that any god would want instilled in people in his name. I think not.

The whole aspect of rules to live by also aren’t exclusive to religion, pick up a copy of Aesop’s fables and they will teach you the same kind of rules that the Bible does without the fear. And you can instil a code of morals to a kid without any kind of ‘guide’ to do it as we all know what’s right and wrong and can pass this on.

As for sense of belonging, that’s not something you need religion for. We can feel we belong in a number of ways without joining an organised religion. This can either be by being part of some kind of team (such as sports teams), being part of a group of fans who support something in particular, being part of a group or friends/family or even a sense of self belonging through belief.

And I think on that last line is where we hit the problem. People seem to have this idea that to have belief you have to belong to and accept all their teachings but you don’t as belief and organised religion are completely different things.

To have belief and get the sense of belonging, hope and happiness that comes with that you do not need to join the façade that’s organised religion.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote