View Single Post
Unread 11 Jul 2017, 06:23   #4
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Re: Balanced vs random stats

I think this is an interesting discussion. It holds many points of intrigue.

Firstly we need to understand what random vs balanced means. In this debate it is wether a race is OP in its targeting in one area (say fi) and weaker in another (say de). When jintao does his matrix he is aiming for equality across the board. For example every race and every class can roid 3 of the 5 races available, giving him a perfectly balanced targeting matrix. This then allows less worry about things such as ac/dc and emp res.

Personally I think 'random' stats are more fun as it puts more emphasis on alliances to find the best set ups. To integrate the OP ships or work to counteract them as a team. In balanced stats this becomes more irrelevant as everything has equal chance of succeeding and takes a lot of the 'fun' away from the initial choices.

I made a point to him that rounds that have OP/ridiculous ships are more memorable rounds compared to more recent rounds where balance has been put at the forefront of design. I find that the last 10 odd rounds have blended into each other from a stats point of view because of this and it's harder to pick out things from those rounds that stood out to the player's. Even though we have had big changes to the stats, including a cloak free round.

I would like the emphasis shifted to creating stats that stand out and cause talking points/issues as these give more points of interest over the course of a round.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote