View Single Post
Unread 26 Jul 2013, 22:38   #32
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Re: My 2 cents about the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It continues to amuse me that the same people who are painting Jagex as the archvillain in this giant fiasco, are raising Spinner to approximately the same level as Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Might I remind you that AD2460 has been in development for longer than Jagex has owned PA? That is to say, since May 2010, with hints dropped as early as January 2010? A solid ****ing 3 years?

That in those three years, while Jagex certainly hasn't turned PA into a shining beacon of hope for all, AD2460 has received about $230,000 in grants from the Norwegian government, and are now asking for an additional $150,000 in crowd funding to "polish" it? We're talking about a goddamn browser game here!

That the 200 players Jagex is "milking" bring in a grand total of $5500 a year, for a company that has yearly revenue of $70,000,000, which brings about a profit of $16,300,000 a year? That in fact, the most probable reason Jagex are now dropping PA is that PA is quite frankly too much of a hassle to keep running, for practically no gains?

Are you all ****ing insane?
I couldn't let this go unanswered, sorry

First of all, noone is raising anyone to any level by supporting my move to buy the game which I care about back. Feel free to back up your statement with a quote. There is no need to ridicule others or myself here. And for the record, I'm an atheist :-)

When it comes to AD2460, time and money sort of goes hand in hand when it comes to development, to a certain point anyway. We can deal with the money first if you wish.
AD2460 has a total (roughly) estimated cost of more then 600.000 $. As we are doing things very roughly, I will guesstimate that the graphics alone is something close to 100.000, and we've bought 10 servers so far, with a few more in the pipeline, so I would not be surprised if we end up at about 100.000 in hardware alone. Our hosting alone is a few thousand a month.
We have spent a good deal of time on research as well, as we are using somewhat new technologies to try to build what we have rightfully called "a next generation WMMO". I think the frontpage of the game alone shows more technology, ooomph, graphics and fluidity than all of PA put together.
Yes indeed, we have received about a third from a cultural fund-thingie, I don't see the problem or the relevance. Good for us, good for the quality of the game. The fact that we are way over the initial budget, delayed and not where we hoped to be, we wanted to try raising money through Indiegogo crowdfunding. I don't see a problem there either. The more money we have put into development, the less money is left for the finishing touch and certainly the launch-campaigns.
The biggest issue with the time, delays and slow development, is of course related to managing ManagerLeague at the same time. And ML must always get priority, or we shoot ourselves in the foot.

What you refer to as "a god damn browser game" is no longer what it was back in the days of when Planetarion was made. The standards are so much higher, and we wanted to raise the bar with AD2460. That always costs, both time and money. Heck the complexity of our combat-engine alone far outweighs all of Planetarion, not to mention the visual combat-player.
Whether it will all come together nicely though, remains to be seen (-: Aiming for the stars, so we might at least hit the clouds (-: