Thread: GIF Ad Banners
View Single Post
Unread 31 Mar 2008, 22:03   #109
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: GIF Ad Banners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I don't quite understand Wakey on this.

A level law is pointless because we are a common law system. Such systems build laws they don't start with them. The building blocks are cases (case law). In A level law students do not read cases. Thus there is no point because even if you summarise cases to a digestible level you inevitably leave out the thinking, the minute a new case comes out (which could be any day) what you have told the student is wrong and the student can not understand why everything has changed.

I have no idea whether or not computer science is like that.
Its all well and good wanting an A-Level Law system which has you spending hours discussing case law but its not viable or for that matter of any use to 99% of people who take it. You have 4-5 hours a week of lectures per subject at A-level which is not enough to even scratch the surface with so many area's of law and the complexity.

Surely the point of the course is to give the masses who take it a fundamental understanding of key elements, I myself on my Computer Science Degree had a law module who's aim was to do the very same thing and give us a grounding in the key laws that were connected with computing. It wasnt supposed to make us legal experts or even have us fully understand the big picture. TBH its probally the module that ive had the most RL use from atm even though those of you with law degrees would probally scoff at it. It was also enough of an introduction to see the top of our class have their intrest sparked enough to end up going on to take a law degree after completing the Computer Science one. I would assume its probally the same for alot of people who take A-Level law, its enough to decide if the interest is strong enough to continue and for those that don't gives them enough knowledge about the law to be useful in every day life.

I certainly don't believe one bit that A-Level Law is supposed to be that useful for your degree, just like most A-Levels aren't really supposed to be useful for you passing a Degree. Same goes for GCSE's which arent really useful for either A-Levels or Degrees (Infact I always remember GCSE science where the teachers would at times tell us that what they were teaching us wasn't strictly right but was a bastardised version as the fully correct version was beyond the scope of the syllbuss)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote