View Single Post
Unread 5 Mar 2008, 14:44   #10
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all
Re: Remove the scan tech tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Personally I'd still include scanning on the tech tree. What I would do is alter the way it's laid out.

Snapshot-unit-planet-surface-tech-news-fleet-jumpgate-advanced unit (with a relatively similar, probably slightly shorter overall research time as the current scan tree).

Snapshot is a jgp of a planet you're attacking only on the tick you're attacking. This has the added bonus of getting rid of that ultra-faggoty start of round desperation search for a jgp for a fairly negligible investment. At least if people refuse to do the 8/9 tick research or whatever they only have themselves to blame.

There are some slight problems as this gives a little bit of an edge to xan but I'd suspect it'd be relatively minor. Obviously this still leaves distwhoring as a feasible approach and requires hardcore scanners to scan them but to be honest I don't really see this as a terrible thing. Most players who scan for a round these days are scanning so they can take a break from playing normally. The number of people who actually sacrifice their planet is, in my opinion, comparatively low.
I understand your point, but the change I suggested is more to cater to new players and to shorten the time from sign up to being able to play effectivly. As it is now, you'd have to wait about 200 ticks (no idea about the actual number) to be able to play without needing anyone else. That's hard to explain and it's even harder to keep the new player interested for so long. I know alliance play is what makes the game interesting, but you should also be able to play by yourself and thus scan for yourself. If all scans necessary for survival would be available from the start (so everyting up to newsscans) you could achieve this and still keep alliance play (and even scanners) very important.

It's basicly to lower the joining barrier to acceptable levels.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote