Thread: Laptop Problems
View Single Post
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 21:09   #17
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Laptop Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
So for no reason at all, i turned on my laptop and it appears my display is ****ed. Imagine the screen is made up of four quarters, divided by vertical stripes. Well, the far left quarter is greyed out - as if the lighting is on at half power. gr8!

I've checked the drivers, etc, but its clearly a hardware issue - i restarted and went into the set up screen, and you can clearly see the same quarter of it is greyed out too.
At first it is important that you make sure it is a real hardware problem. Verify that it is independent of your installed OS and driver configuration (a quick and easy test would be to run another OS installation from a bootable CD/DVD - for example some kind of linux like KNOPPIX).

Now if you made sure it is a hardware problem, a common problem could be the connection between your display panel and the lower part of the laptop containing the motherboard/cpu/memory/fans/hard disk/keyboard etc. Sometimes its enough to verify and re-adjust the cable connection responsible for carrying the signals to the display panel. Sometimes you can verify this problem without even disassembling the notebook by gently applying pressure around the place where the cables are connected. In case of a tear/wear cable problem you should see the display problem change and with a bit of luck even disappear if you apply pressure at the correct place.

It is a common problem for some types of laptops and i have extended the lifetime of several notebooks by an additional year or 2 by repairing it myself (disassemble notebook carefully, check and redo all cable connections, remove dirt from keyboard/mainboard and sometimes fix cables).

You should look around the internet and maybe you are lucky and somebody documented how to disassemble your laptop before you try it yourself. Some of them (esp. Sony) are tricky.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote