View Single Post
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 08:19   #53
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: National Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywiser
i aint seen anyone post what they think the typical Australian sterotype is ?
Most Aussies I've met while over here would probably be prime candidates for the 'soon to be sectioned' part of society in the UK....

Good fun to go drinking with though keeps life interesting!

Also might I remind people of the context that these discussions are taking place. In a GD forum on an internet site. Within a different context, say for example a University/higher level academic discussion, i think theres something I could, and probably would pounce on in every single one of the posts above. But it isn't, so I'm not. I'm just here to read some funny posts, hopefully write some myself and occassionally let off steam. I.e. It's kind of entertainment.

Plus, stereotypes are only offensive if you take yourself and whats being said too seriously. And if you take whats being said on a GD forum too seriously, well..... Your probably German.

And a final point, stereotypes work on generalisations. Generalisations are useful tools for us to understand the world around us, and theres nothing inherantly wrong with making or believing a stereotype, as long as we realise and accept it as such. You see, information has this AMAZING property that we can derive multiple meanings and understandings from it given a context. Funny GD post: hahahahaha hes just made a funny. Cultural based market analysis: I think that opinion is a little to crude to provide any decent basis to market this product on. And before anyone jumps on what I just said, please realise that that example was provided off the top of my head.

Portuguese: Love to eat and sleep, don't like working too much. Are really finickity about names
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote