View Single Post
Unread 10 Dec 2009, 00:06   #47
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Support planet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
A rule limiting the interactions between planets reduces the depth of a game's strategy by removing certain options. If there are no differences in the starting conditions from person to person then by definition the game is fair, if nobody breaks the rules.
What my grievance with out of tag def is that the nature in which it is used. I will go into more detail.

Some players/allys having dedicated support planets just for the sole purpose to def planets. whilst not high enough score/value to be worthwhile in tag. you can be lucky and get some sad bastard... er volunteer to be a support planet rather playing properly (and might have made the cut to be in the proper tag)... or most cases you get players making up additional accounts and access them in a way that they hope that they can get around the rules. either by the use of proxies or using addtional computers with different ip addresses (either local or remotely accessed) and keeping the accounts "seperate"

with some folks using the above and some not this creates an unfair advantage/see this as a form of multi-ing.
A way to remedy this is having an alliance limit and also hard coding out of alliance out of gal defense thus making a support planet pointless.

You might call this restricting gameplay options, I call it keeping PA fair for ALL players.

One of the reasons why fighter and corvette (fi/co) class ships are so popular as an attacking fleet is that it is harder to defend against it than frigates,destroyers,cruisers,battleships (fr,de,cr,bs) one of the reasons for this is unless the support planet is in the same cluster / gal or is able to get the launch right whilst the inc is prelaunched and still in base they cant meet the required travel time (eta).

Fr/de/bs/cr can still be defended against with a lower class of ship and still meet the same eta.

Having to choose a fi/co fleet as a non xan instead of a bs/cr fleet is what I call restricting my gameplay options (as I love having a bs/cr fleet and having the option to do a fake) just to "counter" support planets from defending against me.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote