View Single Post
Unread 28 Jun 2012, 00:29   #208
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Re: Jagex - Ominously silent

Let me see if I can make it clearer for you then.

- I already run, maintain and update ManagerLeague, an online football manager game.
- We are making splendid progress with our Unmentionable game, and apart from Spaceships, combat and being a WMMO, it has nothing to do with Planetarion.
So regardless of what happens to Planetarion, I will have 2 released games to take care of in a not too distant time. None of this has anything to do with Planetarion.

"What I am trying to do here" is getting my hands on my first WMMO again.
Not because I think there is money to be made.
Not because it will give me a "kickstart" on any other game.
Simply because recent events announced by Jagex, about the closing of some other games, and their focus on Transformers (and / or other things), along with the current state of a completely neglected Planetarion, might indicate that the end draws near, so to speak.

The web has developed significantly since we sold PA to save our company from bankruptcy, and Planetarion has been left in the early previous decade.

If this is so hard to understand, why not turn it around?
Why would I NOT be interested to retrieve and take care of my first game of this type?

And as for some peoples allergic reaction to changes, well, tough luck if it happens.
As for changing it to something you won't recognize, well, tbh, it HAD a mobile interface 12 years ago...It HAD better signup and login-procedures 12 years ago, compared to the times ofc...It HAD a different business-model 12 years ago...Just as it had some pretty fundamental weaknesses in its core design, which was fine as long as we had 1000 signups per day. It HAD more landings and more action 12 years ago, and it was simply put a better game. PA doesn't "work" with 800 players (ok, that's just my view) and I do not understand why anyone wouldn't want it to grow again.
Will PA see 100.000 accounts again? No, of course not.
But can it reach 10.000 again? Absolutely.
Can it be made into a better game, a game more suited towards the current market, a more accessible game? Absolutely.

New users have 100 reasons not to play this game as it is now. THAT is a waste.

Oh, and I am fine about being called sentimental, it would not be the first time. Of course I have feelings for Planetarion.

You seem to think this is black and white though, and see "2 choices". We do not share the same view on that. I have presented a short list of things that I am confident this game needs, before marketing-efforts will show any kind of payoff when it comes to bringing in new faces. It's ok for me if you wish to look at each item as either "n00b-friendly" or "hardcore-friendly", but I fail to see it like that. I don't belive a mobile interface is bad for any group, nor do I believe some more depth (and less width) in the combat is bad for either group, not as long as it makes the game better. I do not see how a modernized business-model can be favoring any of these two groups you refer to either. I also fail to see how a better information-flow, where help-info is where you need it, rather in some unread manual, is bad for anyone.

That said, I see where you are coming from in terms of "n000bs" vs "loyalists".
Truth be told, there would not be such a choice to make, as the choices would be decided by an updated vision of what the game should be, not what this group or that group would like.

And again, none of this matters the least bit until we hear back from a certain owner...