View Single Post
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 20:03   #24
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Re: 24 years for not stopping a murder?

@Yahwe: I do not think she is a poor mistreated woman. She was judged according to the laws of the country she was in. She had a fair trial (at least I haven't seen anything pointing to a bad one) and she has served most of her sentence. My main cause for posting here was to get more information on how stuff like this normally is handled, and since I am not a lawyer, and I am not an american, I tried to see if any lawyers or americans could reply.

I find it strange that she received such a severe sentence, considering she didn't actually kill anyone, but that is based on my background. People whoa ctually commit murders in Sweden, will not get sentenced to 25 years in prison. It just seems kind of absurd to me.

@Alki: No I don't think, I actually don't know how famous this case is in america.

@Tactitus: It wasn't a shooting spree. He murdered one person in cold blood, and freaked and killed another at a latter point. I also believe that aiding a murderer IS a serious crime. I just don't agree on the sentence. She was also, acording to the site Dead_Meat posted eligible for parole after 17 years. Obviously you are not guaranted parole after 17 years, and I don't know weither or not she was involved in anything that complicated her case in the early years. I just know that she has "behaved ok" for the last couple of years.

@Nusselt: Actually the press has been fairly "nice" when discussing the case, the only really negative comments has been over the panel who decides weither or not she should be released/transferred. That a member of the victims family is allowed to be there is really...weird.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote