View Single Post
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:05   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: 24 years for not stopping a murder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen
She didn't have a gun pointing at her head or anything, but I guess the entire situation might count as duress, I mean the boyfriend DID kill someone, and then you are expected to step betwean a police officer and the gunman?
I don't know what exactly she did, but it probably falls under the category of 'accessory after the fact' (e.g., knowingly helping a criminal evade arrest). It's possible that she knew about his intent before hand (she would then be an 'accessory before the fact') and she should have gone to the police. I don't think anyone expected her to leap in front of the gun and shield the policeman with her body, but otoh you can't just ride around with your boyfriend on his shooting spree and claim you weren't involved.
Quote:
Do you consider the sentence excessive? Aparently she agreed to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.
Accessory to murder is a serious crime. :/
Quote:
Do you think she would have been treated THAT severe if her boyfriend hadn't comitted suicide?
I don't think that has anything to do with it, although if he would have testified that she didn't help him in any way it might have strengthened her case (assuming she had a case).

With respect to having her serve a fixed sentence in Sweden, a '25 years to life' sentence means that she's eligible for parole after 25 years. It's up to a parole board to determine if and when she can be released. If she were transferred to a Swedish prison then I don't see how they could make that determination. Maybe there's a way to transfer parole responsibility--I don't know.

All that aside, I don't see any reason in principle why she shouldn't be allowed to serve her sentence in Sweden. The US has prisoner transfer agreements with most European countries.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote