View Single Post
Unread 19 Sep 2009, 12:27   #50
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Is Bigger Government Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda View Post
Even in education, students from equal backgrounds who go to privately owned schools tend to have much greater success in school and in college than those in government run schools. Much of this is attributable to the constraints placed on individual schools by government regulations. This, despite the HIGHER per student amount spent on government schools.
This might be the case in the US (as I am not familiar with their education system), but I would have thought that this kind of result could be explained through some form of adverse selection - parents who are most motivated for their children to have the best education would be more likely to prioritise their disposable income into school fees. Thus, these students when they get home have parents who would be more likely to be interested in their child's academic progress (given the financial investment), and beat them with a stick if they're playing PA instead of doing their homework.

(apologies for reply to such an early post, I'm still progressing through the thread).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote