View Single Post
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 22:01   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: P2P downhill in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Not that I am implicitly agreeing with the slave owner's controvertible comment (his own children slaves) by not refuting it, but the connection you've made is incorrect. A piece of software or a recorded song isn't just an 'idea.'
It shares traits with the idea in that, like the candle, you can share the light without losing the original flame, which was Jefferson's point.

And besides, the original cost is not relevant. Are you saying that copyright should be upheld more on an album which was expensively produced compared to say, a novel written in someone's spare time on a creaky type writer? The capital costs involved are not relevant, unless you are making such a distinction.
Quote:
Filesharing isn't activism, it's simply gratifying your need for escapism. You're not saving exploited 8 year olds from dangerous factory work, you're downloading cartoons for personal enjoyment.
Who said that they were? Try to reply what has actually been said, not escaping on bizarre flights of fancy. And I disagree up to a point anyway - breaking a bad law is a form of activism, but that's certainly not my primary reason for doing so.*

And try not to imagine you're the only one with strong moral principles. Some people just happen to disagree. Similarly, if I scream and shout about how immoral miscegnation is, that does not mean you lack moral fibre or whatnot. It just means you happen not to share my (hypothetical) view. That is the part of your argument I hold most objection to, the belief you are the only one with morals.

edit : * = There's also the issue of IP generally. Despite the attempt by Stallman and others, people tend to have a unified view of patents & copyright. Strenghtening one is strenghtening the other. Patents are responsible, in my opinion, for many thousands of deaths due to the way drugs are distributed (or not distributed) to developing countries. If you support IP laws then I hold you partially responsible for these deaths and I hope you burn in hell for your crimes. See, we can all over-react, isn't it fun?

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 1 Feb 2006 at 22:09.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote