View Single Post
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 18:32   #63
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You do realise you should give examples and reasons based on your experiences.
The simple fact that sanctions (eg: detention, litterpicking, suspension from school and eventually exclusions) exist in 99% of schools in the UK should be evidence enough that kids don't like learning and would rather mess about.

Or maybe I could tell you about a few anecdotes from the charming school I teach at. Like how the entire Senior Leadership Team had to cancel early morning assembly one morning to head into town to hunt down a boy who had tried to stab another one and narrowly missed. The boy then came sauntering into school.

Or maybe how on the second day I was there, I heard a tale from another teacher about how 3 boys came into her classroom while she was teaching, and proceeded to throw a boy off his chair and beat the crap out of him while she stood there helplessly.

Or perhaps how, on my second week there, I had a class of year 10s who literally were throwing textbooks at each other, and then eventually out of the window until I had one of the decent pupils fetch SLT (which took about 40 minutes as there were OTHER incidents in the school) to remove them from the classroom.

Or maybe the many times I have been sworn at, shouted at, and generally made it incredibly clear that the kids would rather be messing about on bebo or on their phones than be learning?

Those were just off the top of my head. I could tell you about the teacher having to literally place a pupil in a bin, or me having to wrench a year 7 boy off another one to stop him running in my class and punching him in the face, or having my voice almost destroyed at the end of a day from having to raise my voice to get a class to shut the **** up.

The fact that there's an entire disciplinary procedure for "what to do if kids repeatedly get their phones out and play music on them/text message/PHONE PEOPLE in the middle of lessons" should be enough to tell me that they'd rather treat schools as a big social place than somewhere to be educated. I'd hope it would for you too, but hey I expect I'm using my "authority" on the subject here so it must obviously make my entire opinion/argument null and void

But hey. I'm sure if we put them all in a big classroom and left them to their own devices, they'd all happily educate themselves and learn at their own pace