Thread: Book Review
View Single Post
Unread 19 Jun 2008, 15:33   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Book Review

Havent read it, but it's probably an introduction to Bertrand Russell's own views on the philosophy of mathematics (logicism). Its short though, so why not. Just be aware that its most likely a one-sided presentation, and that its very old (even things like ZFC/Godel werent around when it was written).

As a counter-balance I'd recommend this, which is a more of an empiricist/anti-foundationalist perspective.

Quote:
I found his History of Western Philosophy to be very concise and very readable
Its very readable/well-written, but its also quite biased/one-sided, and his scholarship towards people he doesnt agree with (Hegel/Nietzsche/etc) is appalling. Its largely because of this book that I suspect BRs introduction to mathematical philosophy is going to be more about BR's own views than about mathematical philosophy in general.

Last edited by Nodrog; 19 Jun 2008 at 15:50.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote