View Single Post
Unread 6 Jul 2010, 14:23   #89
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice
Re: If I could make three changes to Planetarion, they'd be .....

1. Perceived Reality
How can a planet with few k inhabitants have 10.000 battleships?
Why is scanning many times more expensive than ships?
Why are races fighting each other?
Why are some constructions restricted in numbers and others not?
Moving planets between gals?
If there is any logic behind the game's mechanics I frankly don't see it. Ofc you could always argue with "but this is scifi" yet most scifi is rooted in reality and thus "appears" realistic - that's why I call it perceived reality. If things are happening and you don't know why the result usually sucks (Episode I anyone?)
The game universe seems bland at best - there is no interesting background whatsoever. The game is reduced to pure game mechanics and thus feels more like Tetris than WoW, even though both are just spreadsheets with GUI.

2. Useless features
If there are things in the game that don't have any effect on game mechanics whatsoever or don't help in making the game more interesting (like statistics) - kick them out.
- Population Count and Growth %
- Most quests

3. Dumbing down the game made it less interesting
-Prelaunch: The idea was to allow semi-active players to participate in night-attacks. The result is that they get more night incs. This has moved the game even more into the european night hours.
-Removing the starting ticks: I have really no idea what the reasoning behind this one was. All it does is allowing inactive players to appear good for some 100 ticks.
-Auto-reporting attacks: Fight fire with gas? (prelaunch with bots?)
-Queueing: Credit where credit is due. I think this one was a good idea and makes sense in the "Perceived Reality" mentioned above

Since I'm mostly inactive at night I enjoy those features - but they allow rather inactive ppl like me ok ranks :P