View Single Post
Unread 12 Jul 2006, 08:49   #26
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Working with a sex offender, could you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Discussions on these matters are made utterly pointless if we all decide our own definition of crimes.
Yes, but the legal definition of rape really doesn't conform very well to the common conception of rape now does it? There are plenty of people rightfully convicted of rape, who aren't rapists.

Looking up rape on M-W was a little disturbing though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-W
unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent
I have never, ever met a person who'd classify having sex with a consenting minor as rape. Yet, the legal definition seems to have invaded the dictionary too. God, I hate it when somebody 'authorative' changes the definition of a word so the anal-retentive people can suddenly complain about a word being used 'wrongly' (especially the definitions of fruits / vegetables, which are quite recent but really doesn't fit the common usage all that well)

Either way, www.dictionary.com is sane:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.dictionary.com
The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.