View Single Post
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 00:19   #221
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The GD Music Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Nodrog was the second person in two days to mention Steve Reich to me. Can someone recommend some of his stuff. I like this. It sounds a little like Philip Glass but more uplifting and less frightening (which is good).

[edit - apart from music for 18 musicians which is colossal]
Come Out is awesome although more minimalist than his later work (ignore the terrible dancing in that youtube link, also thats only half the full piece). Other than that, the only 'major' Reich work that I like is Different Trains, although you should probably listen to both Drumming and Music for 18 Musicians anyway because a lot of other people seem to love them. If Music For 18 is too long for you then try Music For Mallet Instruments which is similar in style but only ~15 minutes. I do enjoy quite a few of Reich's less famous pieces such as Proverb/Piano Phase/Electric Counterpoint (which is similar to the piece you linked to), but I tend to find a lot of his work to be emotionally sterile compared to that of other minimalists.

Why do you find Philip Glass frightening and not uplifting? His early stuff like Einstein isnt that representative of his career; if you havent already, listen to Glassworks (especially the track Opening which is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, and Facades which always struck me as being like a less beat-driven version of Autechre's Leterel (which I love)). His Etudes for Piano are also ridiculously beautiful (especially #5 onwards).

Last edited by Nodrog; 13 Jul 2007 at 01:53.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote