View Single Post
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 18:32   #19
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Motivation Duders

I could say that you could have organised your time better so as not to get into this mess yadda yadda yadda, but you know that already, and me saying so won't change your situation, so instead here's my attempt to provide you with some useful encouragement.

When I've got a vast wasteland of 'work' ahead of me, I like to use pseudo-zen sayings to motivate me through it. Some of them are:

Life is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you're made of.

The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not obtained in sudden flight,
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night.

Bonus puesdozen-ness for those of you revising:
Revision is not a matter of days and hours, it is a matter of concentration.

And for those who are tempted to criticise the poor sods who have got themselves into a pickle:

There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it hardly becomes any of us to talk about the rest of us.

Try to stay positive, even if you feel buried under a mountain. Focus on the end goal of finishing it and handing it in on time, and remind yourself periodically that it will soon all be over and done with, you'll be down the pub enjoying the nice spring weather and a cold beer, and then the memory of slaving away at this crazy load of work couldn't seem more distant.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote