Thread: G to the De-tox
View Single Post
Unread 30 Jul 2008, 21:47   #63
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: G to the De-tox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prover View Post
Please ignore any insults to your intelligence because they're clearly unintentional. In regard to the context (my meaning), quantum mechanics is only the basis for statistical mechanics. I'd rather not go into the details here because this is supposed to be more of a spiritual discussion, not confined to the "scientific method". Nobody in GD seems to know what that means. If it's small talk to your ears (nb: I know I'm saying ears, and you don't have to question it's absurdity because it's just an expression, and what's not), why not just ignore me?
The problem with this is that you have, by stating that your discussion of spiritual matters is somewhat based in the realm of quantum mechanics, introduced an inconsistency into your own reasoning.

Obviously nobody expects you to discuss matters of spirituality in strict adherence to the scientific method. However, they might reasonably expect anything based on quantum mechanics to be commensurate with, and only with, the rational and/or mathematical predictions which that discipline makes.

Quote:
Here's an example of a spiritual concern in the news...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...bobyrne117.xml
Now, I'm reserving judgment on whether or not she's telling her truth, but it does bring about interesting conversations.
Conversations like "which is more likely? That this woman has woefully mis-identified the symptoms of a neurological disorder, or that she sees supernatural beings from the imagination"?

Quote:
Of course, there have been thousands of testimonial accounts in history that have supposedly contacted the spirit world. But if you're not involved in spiritual matters, maybe you shouldn't be engaged in any of this discussion.
"Agree or be quiet" negates the need for discussion really, doesn't it?

Quote:
The majority of people in the world engage in spirituality, I thought.
Yes, and as nice as they are many of them wish to murder each other. Although it does rather depend on what sort of spirituality you are talking about, because it's a very vague term.