View Single Post
Unread 2 Feb 2008, 18:23   #26
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What is a Liberal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, i understood that the post i was quoting was effectively saying that people only care about things that directly impact upon them in the short term. I said that i cared about things that actually mattered for the greater whole, of which i was an insignificant part and thus only indirectly benefited from my own concen.

Thus, essentially what i said was more or less the direct opposite to what nodrog said, and as such it wouldnt actually "fully support" his post at all?

Did i misunderestimate something around here??
Conveiniantly it just so happens that pretty much everything you support in the name of the 'greater whole' also benefits yourself?

There was a documentary on the BBC called 'The Tower'. It shows the redevelopment of an area of London, which is poor. A block of council flats were sold off and all the tenants were kicked out. It is being redeveloped into luxury flats for rich people.

The development of these flats is not going to help the people because it's done by rich people, for rich people, with the proceeds going to rich people. Eventually the whole area will be redeveloped into a middle class suburbia. The likely result is that all the people who lived there originally shall be relocated into other areas which we shall politely refer to as 'slums'.

So the rich get some nice new homes and the poor get moved along from one slum to another. The likely result of this is greater overcrowding of homes with less choice for some of the most needy in society, some who will be forced to take homes that are completely inadaquate for their needs.

The documentary caught a discussion between three women whose job it is to sell these flats to the rich yuppies from Canary Wharf. One of the women said something along the following lines.

"the local residents will be pleased to see people investing in their community."

Never underestimate the ability of people to believe anything that makes them feel better about their actions, no matter how unlikely it is to be true.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote