View Single Post
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 05:58   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: ETD: just a bad cold or terminal cancer ?

Tbh, i see more choice and more variablility as a good thing. Questions of balance are problematic, sure, but they arent insurmountable. Often, getting balance "almost" right is quite sufficient, which seems to be the case that we've been having recently. Sure, they arent perfectly balanced, but they arent far off it.

More races, suited to more varied playing styles is a good thing, imo. The only other format that i would tentatively support is the concept of no races, and using research (and construction) to select ships from a pool of common ships. However, this has its own balance problems due to the high probability of the "best of both worlds" outcome, where there is only one clear set of choices that is superior to all others. That's bad, as its only 1 good choice with many bad choices, and only the informed and well connected will know what that choice is, whereas now you can still get lucky with a 20% chance of getting it right with current races.

I suppose the point is, keep ETD but make it different to what it is now. I think it will have more "brand loyalty" if the race can be better reflect a certain playing style better than the other races. How to do that, however, i'm not sure about.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote