View Single Post
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 16:57   #11
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Pay to stay jails [DDA]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
You dont think theres an intrinsic problem with letting wealthy people buy better sentences?

Not better sentences better prison cells - just individual cells if you want. I'm not sure it is that bad an idea actually. They seem to have less problems with people who pay and putting some kind of onus to pay your own way and behave or go to shared facilities is a good way of controlling behaviour (though admitedly this is only being done on middle class drink drivers at the moment).

Prison reform programs are never going to be well funded by any government and i don't see an intrinsic problem with letting prisons generate an additional income. If you think about an analogy with taxes, 'flat rate' taxes or 'flat rate' prisons hurt the poor the most. Someone from a council estate who shared his cell with jeffrey archer was more affected by his prison term than archer. Giving rich people the opportunity to pay up to indiviudal cells and putting the money into helping the other prisoners is a better idea than leaving them all to fester in the same crap. And it evens up the financial hardship faced by prisoners.

edit the backstory is i read paris hilton was offered the opportunity to go to a pay jail but turned it down; i wanted to know what a pay jail was.