Thread: Ze Art
View Single Post
Unread 22 Aug 2007, 18:25   #15
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Ze Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Does the type of emotion being expressed matter? Is there any significant difference between works which (eg) express emotions one might feel in everyday life (such as love songs or novels about day-to-day life), and works which try to point towards emotions outside this normal range?

My view on the subject is "Art is Art is Art" so no, i don't think the feeling being expressed matters (to make it Art or not). Using "unusal" feelings only really impacts on the "success" of the piece / artist. If you appeal to a broader range of people you will be probably be viewed as "better" or more successful. That doesn't necessarily mean that what you have produced is better Art (like i said i feel complexity / technical ability is a better indicator of a piece's merit) it's just you will be rewarded more.

I would say that if marketed properly (i.e. highlighting the use of the unusual - specifically challenging people - making viewing the pieces a dare) the use of unusual feelings as the subject matter can be rewarded to as great an extent as familiar emotions.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote