View Single Post
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 15:29   #12
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: A sense of purpuose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I was going to make a porpoise joke, too slow

Whether you study and get a job or not depends on two things imo. Firstly, money. Can you be confident that you will stay in a financially secure position forever? Secondly, will any other important needs in your life be fulfilled by getting a job? Or could you be happier doing some other random activity all day? If you can, and it won't cause any financial worries, just be a leech forever and never work a day in your life.
As far as needs goes, heres the general's surgeon list of non physical needs:

Quote:
  • Security — safe territory and an environment which allows us to develop fully
  • Attention (to give and receive it) — a form of nutrition
  • Sense of autonomy and control — having volition to make responsible choices
  • Being emotionally connected to others
  • Feeling part of a wider community
  • Friendship, intimacy — to know that at least one other person accepts us totally for who we are, “warts 'n' all”
  • Privacy — opportunity to reflect and consolidate experience
  • Sense of status within social groupings
  • Sense of competence and achievement
  • Meaning and purpose — which come from being stretched in what we do and think.
Every aspect is covered, except the last one.

I cant tell if i would be forever (thats such a powerful word) employed. I would just do things i want for now.
Ive been doing things i hate for most of my life now. I hated going to kindergarten. I hated school, highschool and the uni. I hate to study things i have to so i will pass on something. I like to study things that interest me, but that doesnt seem to make many moneys.

Working is a pain in the ass, but at least you just go there, do your thing and go home. Studying is many magnitutes worse, because it takes up all your free time, since you do it on your own....