View Single Post
Unread 29 Jul 2009, 19:38   #26
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Is Bigger Government Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä View Post
Not necessarily. This is more a vague "usually consequences differ", than a rule. The easy example would go along the lines of, if government is inefficient, it costs excess money to the tax payers. If a company is inefficient, it costs excess money to it's stockholders.
The difference though is that stockholders are such mainly by choice (with some possibility of a profit to offset the risk they're taking) whereas taxpayers are not. As a stockholder, if I think GM is unsound or I don't like how it's being run, then I can sell my stock. As a taxpayer, if I don't like how the government is running GM, well, I still have to pay for it anyway.

And if, by some unholy miracle, GM is ever profitable again, I won't be getting any dividend checks.
Quote:
Alternatively, is a company is inefficient, the government must bail it out
No, it need not. Many companies aren't bailed out.

In capitalism, bankruptcy is not a bug, it's a feature. Poorly run companies should go out of business. Subsidizing incompetence does little to reduce or eliminate it; if anything, it only serves to increase it.
Quote:
In the case of bail outs, the funds are brought from the tax payers, and it's essentially the same for a citizen whether he pays his taxes to fund public sector failures or private sector failures.
But private sector failures aren't necessarily bailed out. It's only the same if you accept the premise of crony capitalism, where some companies are not allowed to fail.

I don't accept that premise.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote