View Single Post
Unread 1 May 2008, 16:16   #3
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Higher Education

ASG, why do you want to study economics? I ask because if you've studied Politics then I guess you're not solely interested in how to increase a country's economic output, however you want to define that; I suppose you'd be more interested in Political Economy.

Of course, it depends on what is actually being studied in your masters programme, but generally I find the city kids who've studied economics at Oxbridge or other notable institutions go though the following process: master the learning process (awesome), study and internalise the arguments in favour of the efficient market hypothesis (less awesome) and then get a job in the city and try not to become the next Lesson (soul destroying).

And, really, if you're not that keen on Maths (we're brothers in this respect), why study a Mathematics-based subject? If you want to increase your rather base mathematical ability (which I do) then there are far better methods, which you can do in your spare time which do not necessarily involve enrolment in a university, especially not enrolment in an economics course. That's probably peripheral though. Basically, perhaps you should take one step at a time (increase your mathematical ability, then study economics if you've decided that's really what you want to do), and not just leap and possibly drown.

Finally, it seems, like most people on this forum, you're interested in increasing your edification. Of course, higher educational institutions help you do this, but as soon as you've mastered the learning process (and by this I mean increased your capacity to learn new ideas, hold opposing arguments in your mind along with the one you favour at the same time, increase your reading ability, and increase your ability to abstract, etc; not that there's an end point to speak of) I'd argue, with enough spare time, you have little need for such institutions.

Of course, if you've decided, in order to get whatever position you eventually or currently aim for, you need some more letters added to the end of your name, then fair enough; but if that doesn't come into your equation, I don't understand why you really need to enrol in another course, particularly one you think may kill you.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote