View Single Post
Unread 7 May 2007, 13:00   #24
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football]Well it's all over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I am not sure that any of this argument is fair.

Its very difficult to do but it would make more sense to look at the value of players, no matter how much they cost, I think most managers would crawl across broken glass for players like Terry, Lampard, Cole and Cech. With Chelsea and Man United everyone always seem to add £5million when dealing with them. £18million for Carrick ffs!

Furthermore whilst United didn't pay for Scholes, Neville and Giggs there is no doubt they were all worth £20-30million at one stage. About 7 years ago if Scholes had gone to another team that team would have been built around him and he would have gone down as one of the greatest players in that teams history. But what are other teams supposed to do? say "oh well that's home grown talent, fair play give them the championship." It seems to me that they have every right to spend money to catch up. Especially since a lot of that money has gotten spread around the premiership. Spurs had a good side at the beginning of last season and then they got the best part of £20million for one player so they can go out and buy a few more tasty players. A few more good investments like that and they could find themselves contenders in a few years.

Finally I think Chelsea have found a new sort of barrier now, which is that once you get over a certain number of big name players its hard to keep them happy if you can't guarantee them games. Also the problem with rotating certain positions is that if you don't have that consistency and it creates more problems than it solves. Shaun Wright-Phillips is an obvious example of this, but there are going to be a few players who are going to feel overlooked. This is especially a problem for imported players because they need games to get used to the different rhythm of play.

I was actually really disappointed that Shevchenko wasn't more awesome this season, but I think he would benefit from playing in a team with different tactics. If Chelsea had more width then it would create more space for him in the centre.
Good post, got to agree with a lot of that. Chelsea are paying only because they've got to spend that much to get to the top level, Abramovich can, so Chelsea are spending pots of cash. I doubt Mourinho is poorly paid either so they paid for a top manager too. Sadly we're in an era where you have to spend pots of cash to get anywhere and it's very hard to genuinely build a team to get to the top level on a reasonably modest budget (Allardyce gave up with Bolton)

The only thing I'd take issue with is Shevchenko. He's with the wrong team and the wrong manager and I think he went to Chelsea because Chelsea were the only club who could afford him. If you want to play for Chelsea who are given a role and you've got to play with 110% commitment, which in Chelsea terms make him a passenger, because he's a predatory striker and a very good one at that. If we want to see the best of Shevchenko, he has to leave Chelsea to join a team who play more creative football. People might say "why don't Chelsea play more expansive football" but the fact is they don't want to, they are successful and they are a good side regardless.

If he's a Mourinho signing it's baffling. If he's an Abramovich signing then it's no wonder why Chelsea have struggled to accomodate him. Most managers would have left seeing players sold over their head so if Mourinho has stayed regardless, we can either accuse him of being gutless for accepting it or courageous for trying to win regardless of the constraints upon him.

Last edited by lokken; 7 May 2007 at 13:08.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote