View Single Post
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 16:58   #51
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Football] Paul Tomkins Article on Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
You disagree?

You think winning the league means more than winning the European Cup?

No one ever remembers the league winners, they remember the European Cup winners though.
Who are these people you speak of and where do they come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I disagree. The legitamcy is done on the season you qualified.
they finished a very poor fourth. there's not a great deal to be salvaged ouv of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
When Villa qualified we were league champions (81) in the year we won the European Cup we finished 11th (82) now for a team of villa who had a squad of 16 players to achieve league and cup was nigh on impossible.

It was either league or cup.
Do you really think that was the best decision for the club? Wouldn't it have made more sense to try and stabalise a consistantly high performing league club? Or did they pick the cup because they were doing crap in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Secondly regardless if Liverpools league form before the European Cup season was shite, that doesn't matter. The rules of the competition states that the top 4 teams in Britain qualify for the tournament.
I'm not contesting the rules. I'm just saying that there was nothing about their qualification or winning the cup or subsequent performances that would indicate they were worthy of being crowned champions of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
It is certainly harder flying to Bucharest then driving to Bolton, or playing Real Madrid instead of Reading.
yet they still perform poorly in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
The European Cup is and will remain to be the watermark for sucessful teams.
So you believe Liverpool hve ben more sucessful thanChelsea in the past couple of years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Chelsea, Blackburn, Man Utd, Arsenal have all shown that if you have money (and perhaps most importantly few teams who can challenge) the league can be yours.
Leeds and Liverpool have shown the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Anyone can win the league.
Yet far less clubs have won the Premiership (since its creation) than have won the European Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
The European Cup is the pinacle of Football. I bet if you asked any European Footballer what trophy do they desire the most, the european cup would be there. Keane wanted to win it so badly (i.e. actually play in it) Legends have been made because of it, and overall there is nothing quite like a European Football night.

Great Football, Great Passion, Great excitment.
Of course the cup has a magic. It's the unpredictability and the potential for an upset with an immediate consequence, which is more difficult to sustain for 38 games.

I have always considered the European Cup to be the icing on the cake. to win it is to declare that you are the best team in Europe. Yet without that Championship trophy (or at least having one in recent memory) it all rings a bit hollow and stinks of unworthiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Of course if a team south of New Street could actually ever win a European Cup I'm sure they would stop harping on about how great the league is.

A good team win the league. A great team win the cup.
A consistant team wins the league. A lucky team wins the cup.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote