View Single Post
Unread 7 Jan 2007, 07:50   #16
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VGA Planets - new game, looking for players

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd|One
Long live the days of the BBS's and modems! The connecting scream was better than a cup of coffee.
Heh, indeed. You wouldn't think it but speed was just as important then as it is now for gaming. I had at the time a 2400bps modem and my mate had a slightly faster one. We were playing LORD and BBS Hack at the time and I recall one afternoon the both of us racing home to beat each other at logging on first to get the upper hand in the game and play the first turn. I actually beat him.. but the bastard got smart, he called my number to delay me from logging on and it bought him enough time to get in before me (by about 5 seconds I might add).

Quote:
I had no idea it was paid software prior to shareware with an opt to upgrade? Though, if my memory serves me correct, there was a delay with WinPlan (v3.5) shareware coming out; paid version came long before, probably as most were content with the DOS version.

We're playing the classic v3 ('final' version of v2) rather than the newer v4 version, which you are probably referring to. I agree with you on the impact of the changes.
No I actually meant the original version was 100% free to play (but I do believe the author had hints in his documentation that donations would be appreciated).