Thread: Donations
View Single Post
Unread 13 May 2013, 16:00   #48
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of
Re: Donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
That is a logical fallacy, and you're wrong too. My planet finished the round at rank 207 and my gal was 17th. In the history of PA, I've never donated resources to anyone. How about you argue your point using actual arguments, rather than ad hominem attacks and emotionally charged language? Be a big boy.

As I said before, the current situation is not a good one. I would like to see the galaxy race become interesting again.

I'm just railing against this holier than thou attitude where you're not only required to follow all the actual rules, but also all of the "rules" that the moral crusaders of the community come up with to disguise their own incompetence.
Speaking of ad hominems.
Although I'm sure you weren't really aiming that "incompetence" comment at me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Just because someone is doing something you don't like and think should be illegal, doesn't mean it actually is illegal and requires punishment.
Agreed on both counts - but I do believe that we should be allowed to express our dissatisfaction and to ask that consideration be given to making such practises less profitable.

I know that you don't believe that the "spirirt of the rules" exist. You've said so in this thread and also in another (a long time ago and directed at a comment I had made). I disagree with you entirely, although the terms "spirit of the law" and "spirit of the game" are the actual wording of the examples I could quote. Doing the right thing because it is right (and not just because the "rules" prescribe it) is an admirable trait - often referred to as sportmanship and fair play. Sadly this is becoming less common, even in games which were once synonymous with the concept. On the other hand, those who play "to the letter of the law" are often guilty of what is referred to as gamesmanship - a trait which is at best dubious and at worst censurable. An example of this would be the common practice of a footballer falling over in the penalty area in an attempt to gain a penalty (this has only recently been outlawed in the rules) or using a hand to put the ball into the net (as in the famous Maradonna "Hand of God" incident) which is, of course, a foul but is often successful. Both of these clearly constitute cheating but what about claiming a throw in/corner/goal kick when you know you touched the ball last. This isn't against the rules but it is certainly cheating.

I'll leave it there as I could go on all day. My point remains that just because we can do a thing and that the said "thing" is not specifically proscribed by the rules does not mean that we should do it - or that we should be surprised when other players complain about it.

The question of whether massive donations, constant exiling, keeping value artificially low, etc. are morally wrong is one we cannot resolve - nor, I believe, should we try to do so. We all have our own view on this and none of us actually has the "moral authority" to impose this on others. I have, however, tried to demonstrate how these practises have an adverse effect on the game and on the majority of the (few) remaining players.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote