View Single Post
Unread 3 Feb 2008, 09:09   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: What is a Liberal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Conveiniantly it just so happens that pretty much everything you support in the name of the 'greater whole' also benefits yourself?
I'm not sure that its convenient, i think its the point - if something doesnt benefit everyone, at least indirectly, why is it being done? Government schools and associated investment in education are beneficial to the country and its economy as a whole. However, education is quite easily done in the private sector using markets - so why should governments intervene? Because its in the best interests of all, including/especially those who cannot otherwise afford school fees. However, i was tought in a private school, but i still benefit from public education due to the thousands of teachers, engineers, doctors, scientists, lawyers, economists, plumbers, brickies, electricians and etc that were all brought up through the public education system, whom i benefit from either directly through hired service, or indirectly through their function in society and the economy.

Mass relocation of peasants to make way for luxury apartments makes a good story and invokes all the right responses. However, from what i understand london council estates to be, i was under the impression that they were slums already.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote