View Single Post
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 22:45   #35
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Stanley "Tookie" Williams (hey dda!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
He killed 4 people. He was found guilty and sentenced to death...

Just because he improved, wrote books and was "known", his punishment shouldnt change. Theres probably lots of people whos regretted what they did and become good persons while waiting for execution, which we never hear of. What about them? They wouldnt be worse people, and should be threathed the same way as he, if he had been saved. To me it doesnt seem fair... as im sure many good unkown people have been executed.
To me it seems that's exactly why he shouldn't be executed. The capital punishment (and excuse me while I google for a moment, I'd like something quotable* on this) was reinstated in 1976. An excerpt from the ruling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****ing Killers Said This
In extreme criminal cases, such as when a defendant has been convicted of deliberately killing another, the careful and judicious use of the death penalty may be appropriate if carefully employed. Georgia's death penalty statute assures the judicious and careful use of the death penalty by requiring a bifurcated proceeding where the trial and sentencing are conducted separately, specific jury findings as to the severity of the crime and the nature of the defendant (if he's black, let 'im dangle, Ed.), and a comparison of each capital sentence's circumstances with other similar cases. Moreover, the Court was not prepared to overrule the Georgia legislature's finding that capital punishment serves as a useful deterrent to future capital crimes and an appropriate means of social retribution against its most serious offenders.
Basically, the ruling backs Arnie. And to be honest, I think there are cases where the death penalty is justified. Serial killers, pathological killers or rapists, people who use <blink> or <marquee> tags on websites and spammers are all people that can't be reformed (ok, maybe not the blink/marquee people, but come on).

However, if you have any belief in a reformatory prison system, then is this not a (and I hesitate to call it this) text book example of the system working? I mean, up until the point where they injected poison into him. At that point it was a great example of the penal system finding the nature of the defendant appropriate to use as social retribution. If prison can't reform people, why the **** do we let them back out in the first place? At least the 3-strikes guys were consistent in their idiocy.

PS. Wikipedia says Tookie was his actual middle name, not some jolly pirate nickname.

* I said quotable damnit, not accurate.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote