View Single Post
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 04:04   #28
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thoughts for Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventh
I think the part about pa has to be p2p is bullshit.

Im pretty sure i can myself host it on my 2-3 boxes with only 2k players. If the bandwith is less than 5-10 gig each day on each box it shouldnt either be a problem for me to run it.. Atleast with a little bit of work.

There must be many others with the same resources to be able to host it, and im sure if the community was asked to host it, we would easly be able too..

But as long as jolt owns it, and wants to earn money on it its gonna be p2p ofc..
2-3? ******** (ooh, I deserve a censor ) runs acceptably on 1.

The costs? £40 a month colo, no bandwidth fees. This isnt at some shit data center, but at the London docklands telehouse (top quality). However, even if you wanted to take bandwidth into account (which jolt almost certainly dont have to, you buy a fixed amount of megabits and the actual usage doesnt matter). The truth is that P2P in its current form just isnt needed, anyone who says otherwise is either bullshitting of knows nothing. If I (a 16 year old student) can run a clone with a comparable number of planets for free*, then why the **** cant Jolt?
Sure they want ROI, but havnt they had that yet?

Theres more ways to make money out of games like this than by forcing you to pay £10 up front. After some research, I started running Google banners on ********, and in just under a week, its made me £150. Considering it only costs me £40 to host the thing, id say £110 is a tidy little sum. Assume a month of similar amounts, and your getting £600 a month, not bad for a student .

* Almost free

Please dont censor evade - JC

Last edited by JC; 27 Dec 2003 at 19:36.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote