View Single Post
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 16:43   #1
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future
The pro-Israeli lobby strikes again.

I'm referring to the response to Jenny Tonge's remarks at the Lib Dem conference.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5366870.stm

What she said was absolutely justified: whilst Israel is committing some of the most damaging acts of terrorism in the world (that we know of), in terms of loss of life and damage to infrastructure, there seems to be an understanding amongst politicians and parts of the media that criticism should be limited. It seems obvious to anyone that cares, that the pro-Israeli lobby has huge financial backing (at least in the UK and the US) and significant influence within government. She stated this and, as if to confirm it, politicians and elements of the media grab it immediately and kick up a huge fuss.

What is most frustrating about it is that people feel the need to bring 'anti-Semitism' into it. It's interesting that one can criticise the actions of the Iranian government or of Saddam Hussein without being considered to have been discriminatory against Muslims, and can despise George Bush's actions without condemning Christianity, yet with regard to Israel any criticism is a criticism of the Jewish faith and all Jews across the globe. That view is more likely to cause anti-Semitism than to prevent it, since it is encouraging the belief that the policies of the Israeli government is synonymous with those of Jews. Jewish people claiming that condemnation of the Israeli government is support of the holocaust is on par with linking criticism of the Irish government to endorsement of the Potato famine 160 years ago* - its ridiculously unfounded.

I'll even go as far as agreeing with Tonge's remarks last year that got her kicked off the Lib Dem front bench - if I lived in palestine and had no choice but to endure Israeli oppression, my better judgement would probably be clouded by my anger, my lack of hope and faith in the international community, and I'd want to do anything to display that anger to the world, and probably wouldn't have much sympathy for Israeli citizens whose suffering I would cause. Suicide bombers aren't necessarily good OR bad for their cause and if the situation begins to resolve then perhaps it'll be an AS-level history question in 60 years time, but right now it's difficult to say - they're certainly attracting a lot of media attention to their cause, albeit relatively negative for the time being.

Does anyone see inconsistency in condemning both anti-Semitism and the actions of the Israeli government? Considering that I am technically Jewish (the race side, not the religion), I see no clash between the two.

*endorsement of the British government's response perhaps, since they were exporting all alternative food supplies which, it is believed, prevented a solution from developing.

Last edited by Nadval; 21 Sep 2006 at 16:51.
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote