View Single Post
Unread 30 Sep 2005, 13:29   #75
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: So, what are you stealing today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
When I first started watching Lost I was under the impression it was a one season only show, which seemed a fairly interesting idea. Then I heard that the writers/studio were considering stretching it out upto seven seasons long, and I realised that it would be full of X-Files esque cop-outs when it came to explaining things. It's not just that the writers have to put in loads of filler, it's that the characters have to start to behaving in increasingly silly ways to sustain the tension.

I'll keep watching it for now, as it's still fairly enjoyable but I won't hold out much hope for it in the long term.
I think they could have set it up to run 2-3 seasons and still have a serious 'logical' story line (i hesitate to apply 'logical' to a story involving a magic island apparently peopled largely by paedophile pirates, but i suppose it could turn out to be Neverland. 'self-consistent' works here too). they don't have to do much story progression in any given episode given all the flashbacks.

Anyway, the nice thing about the X-Files is that even though the underlying story never went anywhere and was dragged out without answering anything, the individual episodes could still have a point. One episode about one case, which gets largely resolved. So far on Lost, they haven't resolved anything. It's like we've seen the first halves of 40 X-Files episodes.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote