Thread: Lib Dems
View Single Post
Unread 23 Feb 2008, 18:29   #15
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Lib Dems

They're trying to leave.

They've got half-way out. The SNP (Scottish National Party) is trying to convince the Scottish people that they should go the rest of the way, mainly through economic arguments; although I'm not up-to-date on how far they've got with that.

One of the arguments revolves around whether or not Scotland depends economically on the rest of the UK. This was certainly true in previous years from the data I've seen, but not so now; some stats even claim they're richer. The most important question, from a politically realist perspective, would revolve around who would own the North Sea oil on independence.

Unless I'm mistaken (i.e. there's some statement in the devolution legislation that guarantees a referendum on independence at some point) the UK parliament would have to grant Scotland a referendum on independence. The Conservatives were previously extremely reluctant to grant Scotland a referendum on devolution - Labour promptly initiated it when they came to power in 1997. So if the Conservatives are in power when and if the SNP demand a referendum on independence it may be a little tricky. If Labour are in power it's far more likely that they'd allow it as they've always been pro-devolution and presumably pro-independence, or at least more so than the Conservatives.

With this you need to realise that it's highly unlikely that the Conservatives will ever receive many MPs in Scotland anymore and Labour are losing votes to the SNP and other parties (Labour were in power in the Scottish parliament at the start, but now the SNP along with the Greens, I think, are in power).

Last edited by Hebdomad; 23 Feb 2008 at 18:40. Reason: it's losing not l oo sing.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote