View Single Post
Unread 17 Nov 2006, 02:12   #59
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Hi..!! I've registered because of problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure
I pity anyone who sees Australia's Immigration policy as a good example. Heck the current policy actually excludes parts of Australia as being in Australia for migration purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_migration_zone
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1425387.htm

Some of the islands mentioned are well within Australian Territorial Waters, in fact some, such as Magnetic Island are clearly visible from the mainland, and are less than 30 minutes away by boat.
Perhaps the point was not made clear; Australia's Immigration policy is effective at detering people to make the rather long and quite hazardous journey with notorius ruffians (ie, people smugglers) in questionable craft to Australia. The less people try, the more time Customs and the Navy can spend trying to catch those massive poaching operations going on in the North. For some reason, Australia and Australians seem always to be portrayed as racists or people who dont care about freedoms or liberty people but i would put to you that this is far from the case.

Clearly, the issue is one of fairness - Whilst i wont say all Australians, i will say that many Australians see these "asylum seekers" who arrive in Australia via boats as que jumpers - these people take the place of those who apply to Australia's somewhat generous foreign immigration programme legitimately; people who take the time to bring their documents, to plan ahead and be co-operative, people who are willing to start a new life in Australia and do the other things without breaking laws or being antagonistic or whatever. I dont see why these "asylum seekers" cant apply through these programmes just like everyone else as if their claims were legitimate, then they'd have absolutely no problems receiving that asylum. As such, there is the perception that these boat people are predisposed to be less legitimate than proper applicants, and thus when they are taking the place of others who are less dogey then they are, it smacks of inequality.

Now, this is my own opinion on the issue plus the feelings and sentiments of those with whom i talk on this issue (granted, it has been some time now as the issue isnt as pressing as it was in say, 1999) however i must acknowledge that i'm a bit right of centre in the political spectrum, however i still maintain that the policy results in more 'fairness' if not exactly 'justice' (and i use that latter term very loosely).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote