View Single Post
Unread 2 Feb 2007, 11:43   #39
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
Re: influence on religion (past and present) on today's non-religious society

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I entirely disagree that that's the one rule in religion, or even that there is a rule across all religions. Given the intolerance demonstrated and fighting which has occurred it really doesn't make sense to claim that's the single rule for religion (unless you want to say all religions propose that rule but largely then it becomes evident that "do unto others..." precedes religion.
Well atleast they preach it, doesn't mean they aren't hypocrites that say "Except when you have another religion, then it doesn't count!" though.
I would like to think that this rule isn't based on religion, but religion just thought it to be "hey that's a nice thing to preach, I think we could get alot of followers if we add that to our guideline book!" But I'm not sure if this can be proven at all. Still would be pretty cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Morality doesn't just break down. It's not "working" in the first place so to speak of it breaking down is nonsense. What you could say is that someone has a moral nature well outside the normal human plane. If you want ideas for what would happen then I'd advise looking at historical figures who have had a very different moral sense to their contemporaries.
Yeah I kind of meant, if the "general population" would reject the current moral values and society wouldn't use them anymore in their laws rather than a single person, what would be the consequences. It's kind of a silly point though, I didn't really mean to elaborate this much into it.
When looking at history and you look at those historical figures, they're often projected as insane or monsters and even got killed by the establishment, so I'm not too sure how correct the picture I'd get of those figures would be.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote