View Single Post
Unread 1 Feb 2007, 14:47   #1
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
influence on religion (past and present) on today's non-religious society

so I was having a discussion with a friend over lunch that started with him saying how mean I am towards others. But quickly ended with him giving as example my disrespect for other people's religious beliefs. So I started argumenting why I don't like religion etc and soon came to the point that religion has had an influence on my life that has made me make some choices I regret, eventhough I'm not religious myself or even from a religious family.

I was mostly raised by pretty conservative parents (yet not religious) and television. I think that television has had the most influence on my moral values, and this is where I think it went wrong.
Television has raised me with too high moral values that are frankly just stupid and spoil alot of fun. For example the constant repetitive ideal that you shouldn't have sex until you find somebody you really care about and would like to spend the rest of your life with, I was raised with this ideal because of television. And to be quite honest, what's the point of this?
Sex is just a way of entertainment and even can be looked upon as the same as having a squash-match, only with somebody of the opposite sex and much more fulfilling. I missed out on alot of fun because of this in my younger years, when I was still naïve and thought that's the way it should be.
When I see the same kind of moral values preached on television today I think "what kind of inane bullshit am I watching here?" (pretty much how you might be feeling by reading all this).

So I started thinking, and I came to the conclusion that it's the influence of religion on society and on television that has made those moral values. So I started thinking a bit more, what other moral believes do I have that originated from religion? How much more did religion manage to brainwash me without me actually accepting the religion?

Discuss, or don't discuss, doesn't matter much, I just had to get this off my chest and am wondering what else religion did to screw up my life in such a backwards way.

edit* just noticed I mistyped the topic should've been "influence of religion (.."

Last edited by Sharur; 5 Feb 2007 at 09:58.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote